ARTES 20 IAP
ESA is inviting companies, organisations and private or public institutions to submit at any given time a proposal against the ARTES 20 IAP “Call For Proposals”.
This ITT has been published on EMITS under reference AO/1-6124/09/NL/US.
In contrary to the open competitive tenders, this ITT has no fixed budget and no closing date, which is the reason for likewise calling it ‘Open’ Call for Proposals.
Proposals from industrial consortium partners can be funded by ESA up to a maximum of 50% of the cost of the project. Research institutes and universities justifying no further commercial interest in the product can be funded up to 100%.
The ARTES 20 IAP “Call for Proposals” covers three different activities:
- Feasibility Studies, which provide the preparatory framework to identify, analyse and define new potentially sustainable applications and services within the ARTES 20 IAP programme. They have to be compliant with the following requirements: they are user driven, they benefit from the integrated use of multiple space assets and the tenderer intends to pursue a demonstration project after successful completion of the feasibility study.
- Fast Track Feasibility Studies, which follow the same principles as regular Feasibility studies. Compared to regular IAP Feasibility studies, the ESA funding is limited to 50 kEuro, the duration should not exceed 6 months, and the content is expected to be focussed on a few specific, but critical elements of a regular feasibility study. Based on past experience of ARTES 20 activities, the most critical tasks are typically related to “User Requirements Definition” and “Viability Analysis”, followed by “Service and System Definition”.
- Demonstration Projects, dedicated to the implementation of pre-operational demonstration services within the ARTES 20 IAP programme, which therefore comply with the following requirements: they are user driven(including user involvement and contribution), they benefit from the integrated use of multiple space assets, with clear potential to become sustainable in the post project phase.
ARTES 3-4 SATCOM-APPS
The ARTES 3-4 SATCOM-APPS programme offers two types of opportunities for economic entities wishing to do business with ESA:
ESA is inviting companies, organisations and private or public institutions to submit at any given time a proposal against one of the following ARTES 3-4 SATCOM-APPS “Calls For Proposals”. Both calls provide a funding mechanism that can cover up to 50% of the cost of the proposed project.
CALL FOR PROPOSALS ON ARTES 3-4: TELECOM – PRODUCTS PROGRAMME
This ITT has been published on EMITS under reference AO/1-5891/08/NL/US and covers two different activities:
- Study Activities offer the possibility to perform preparatory work as means to consolidate the technical specifications and the technical baseline and to identify technical risks before entering into the development of a product. The tenderer shall have firm plans to develop the
product in an activity following the work offered in the Study. The follow-on activity shall be planned to develop the product to the level that it is ready for commercial exploitation.
- Satcom Applications Projects aim to support design, development and demonstration activities of system and services making use of satellite telecommunications. The scope of the development can be any hardware, software, service or application item aligned with industry plans for future exploitation. A characteristic of the ARTES 3-4 Satcom Applications Projects is to assess the effects of the developed product (e.g. a system, or a service) through an extensive pilot with the users.
CALL FOR PROPOSALS ON ARTES 3-4: TELECOM – NEWCOMER’S INITIATIVE
This ITT has been published on EMITS under reference AO/1-5658/08/NL/US.
The objective of the Telecom – Newcomer’s Initiative is to attract and assist Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) with special attention turned to companies who have never had a contract with ESA Telecommunications to develop business opportunities in the field of satellite communications.
This Call for Proposals is restricted to Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) fulfilling the criteria recommended by the European Commission: 2003/361/EC, of 6 May 2003 (OJ L 124, 20.5.2003, p.36). The definition is also available on the ESA ARTES website.
The development activities proposed in response to this Call for Proposals must be relevant for the satellite telecommunications sector and shall include the Satcom component as an essential element of the proposition: space-borne equipment, ground segment, application/services involving telecommunication satellites. The three areas where proposals are expected are:
- Enabling Technology for Satcom
- Satcom Applications and Services
- Location Based Communication Applications (combination of satellite communications and navigation)
The proposed activities shall deal with product development, integration and demonstration activities based on existing technologies tailored to pre-operational products, systems and applications/services in a pre-competitive environment. ESA funding will be provided on a co-funding basis up to 50% with a maximum of 200 kEuro. The total cost of the activity is allowed to exceed 400 kEuro.